Friday, December 5, 2008

Google Alerts

Back in June I started using Gmail as my main email provider. I love it! At first I was overwhelmed by the number of gadgets it had available to it's users, but as time passes I become more comfortable with it and learn new things. I recently learned (Thanks Dr. Michael Barbour) about Google Alerts. You can set up criteria to have Google notify you , via email, when a specific topic is posted to the web. For example, I'm interested in Michelle Rhee and the work she is doing at the Washington DC Schools. I click on the more link at the top of my Gmail page, and find Alerts. Follow the instructions and it's that easy. Be sure to include a string of words in quotations. Some of my alerts include: "Michelle Rhee," "Detroit Public Schools," and "urban education." Try it out and let me know what you think. I just set mine up yesterday and don't know how I ever lived without them! :)

No comments: