Thursday, December 11, 2008

Detroit's Financial Czar's

Czar's, Czar's, everywhere in Detroit...the Big 3, and the Detroit Public School District. This AM while the CBS morning news played in the background of my morning routine, I heard "Detroit's Big 3 Car Czar..." My routine came to a halt and I tuned in. Last evening before heading to bed I read an article about how Michigan State Superintendent, Mike Flannagan, declared the district to be in a financial emergency. Now they, too, are in search of a "finance czar." Will this be a hot job title as we progress through the year? Are other industries and organizations utilizing this term in the same sense? A Czar is person of great power. Mayor Fenty of DC, has given power to Michelle Rhee to change the DC School District in ways she that she seems fit. This sure seems like a lot of power if you ask me. Could we call her a "czar" as well? Many people are surely not opening her decisions with open arms, so beware future "CAR CZAR" and "DPS Finance CZAR!" You now not only have to be in charge of changing an arena that is already a mess, but also deal with a ton of negative criticism as well, and I'm sure your every move will be scrutinized. Good luck to all!

1 comment:

~*~ said...

I'm thinking that it's more along the lines of creative journalism...the use of alliteration...matching a C word, car, with 'czar'.
Sandy

PS - Don't mind my comments if they are totally off base. I just type out what comes to my mind first without thinking sometimes! :)