Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Randy Pausch: Last Lecture

Months ago I had two friends, Jim and Joey, email me information on viewing Randy Pausch's Last Lecture. Randy Pausch was a professor in the computer science department at Carnegie Mellon, and a pioneer in the field of virtual reality. I kept putting off watching the video because it's an hour and fifteen minutes long, and I was just 'way TOO busy' (smirk, smirk). Randy lost his life at the age of 47 to cancer, but has left us with a last lecture that will impact millions. I've been catching up this month on things I want to read, do, and watch, and I finally watched his "Last Lecture." The previous link will take you to an article that appeared in the April 6, 2008 issue of Parade Magazine, and the page also contains a link to the full video of his 'last lecture.' You may have some of the same thoughts I did, "I don't have time to watch it; I'll get to it later; how good can it really be, etc." Here's a tip for combating those thoughts: WATCH THE VIDEO IN INCREMENTS. It is WORTH your time! I opened the video and watch it in 10, or 20, or 5 minute increments, but every moment was worth it. Get over your "brick wall," and watch it.

No comments: