Sunday, August 17, 2008

Driving in Michigan

One main advantage to living in the city is that you don't have to drive anywhere. Ok, I had to drive to Costco and Walmart, and Janelle takes me to softball. Back in January, when I came to visit WSU, I remember everyone talking about the suburbs, and it seemed that they all said "everything was 20 minutes away." I'm pretty sure they were right. I'm going into my 3rd week here in Detroit, and I haven't filled my tank since the gas station, across from the Bob Evans, along Rt. 46 somewhere in Ohio. Driving in Michigan has some odd, yet after researching and experiencing them first hand, understandable tricks to their driving system. First and foremost, the Michigan Left. Developed in the 60's the Michigan Left was designed to prevent inter-locking left hand turns on divided highways. I really can't give a complete description, so the only way of understanding (unless you've been, or live in Michigan) is by viewing this photo and checking out the Michigan Left link.
Image designed by Christopher Bessert and found on
http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/michigan_left.html

Basically, for those of you who don't want to read the website, you're unable to make a left hand turn at an intersection, so you drive ahead some feet where you make a legal U-Turn in the middle of the road. Make sense? :)




No comments: