Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Demolition and Adaptive Re-use in Detroit

I'm a big fan of the magazine, Next American City, and was looking around their site today. (By the way, the magazine is published in Philly and has been in existence since 2003) Just so happens a picture of Detroit's Museum of Contemporary Art shows up. The museum is only a 10 minute walk from my apartment. I passed it yesterday when I was out exploring the city and getting some exercise. The museum's building is super cool and I was dying to take a picture of it, but it's not in an area that I felt completely comfortable to pull out my camera and start snapping. After having my butt touched by a stranger, 2 guys following me commenting on my legs, and 3 people asking me for money, you may understand my feelings. I found this article to be right in line with a conversation I had with Matt, a friend of mine from PA who is here in Detroit on business this week, last evening. I mentioned to him that I wish I, or knew someone, who had the funds and an interest in the rehabilitation of buildings because this city is packed with a ton of opportunity. I've only been here for 2 weeks, but I'm in love with downtown! It's about a 30 minute walk from Midtown, the culture and arts district, where I live. This area is gorgeous too, containing beautiful architecture. Anyway, downtown becomes a zombie zone after 6pm during the week, unless there is a sports event occurring. (Comerica Park, Ford Field, and Joe Louis Arena are all located in Downtown Detroit) My parents were here the weekend I moved and we tried to go for breakfast on a Sunday morning, and nothing was open! I mean nothing! Not even a Starbucks or a bagel shop. McDonald's sure was though! Yuck! Matt mentioned how eerie it is walking through the city with these tall buildings and yet they are empty. I found the article to be quite timely with our conversation last evening, so I thought I would share.

Enjoy and please share!

http://americancity.org/magazine/article/everything-is-going-to-be-alright-demolition-and-adaptive-reuse-in-detroit/

No comments: