Sunday, March 21, 2010

Out and About Day 2 - Midtown Detroit

Yesterday I blogged about Detroit business along Livernois between McNichols and 8mile. Today, I'll tell you about my 5 mile walk around midtown Detroit on Friday. The walk was three-fold: it was another gorgeous day, I needed to exercise, and needed some ingredients for the brunch that I made today. Here is a link to the brunch. It's a recipe I saw made on Rachel Ray's TV Show...DELICIOUS! We didn't include the egg.

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/knife-and-fork-croque-madames-asparagus-tips/

The main ingredients were purchased in Detroit, and the other items we had around the house.

I left my midtown Detroit apartment located near Wayne State University, and headed to campus to pick up a paper from my professor's door. I then walked with my environmentally conscious tote bag from my parents place of employment...MSC. My first item was bread. I wasn't in Detroit very long until I heard about the infamous Avalon Bakery. I personally try to stay away from buying breads and pastries, etc., because as my Julie says "I'm allergic to those types of carbs...they make my butt swell!" I love the quote! Anyway, for this particular recipe I needed some good homemade bread, and also needed some hamburger rolls for our dinner on Friday night...cheeseburgers on the grill. They were so good! So I picked up a soft loaf of bread and hamburger rolls from Avalon. OUTSTANDING! Everything in there looked fantastic! From the hard crusty breads, to the cookies, to the Greek spinach pies.

Time to continue on to track down some Gruyere cheese and sliced ham. I walked into the neighboring Goodwill's Goodwill organic food store to see if they could point me in the direction of the cheese, and a customer in their recommended going to the Eastern Market for the meat and cheese. She said I wouldn't be able to walk to the Eastern Market, but I was sure I could. What great practice for my 2nd 60 mile Breast Cancer Walk. I headed from Cass towards Woodward and wanted to make a stop in the gem of a store I discovered a few weeks ago, Kim's Produce. Kim's husband, Hollis, was working and I asked him if he thought I could make it to the Eastern Market walking, he said sure. They kept my bread purchases, and I was off to in the warm sun to the Eastern Market.

Once I got to the Eastern Market shopping area I had no clue as to where I was going. I just kept on walking and asking people for the cheese place named, R. Hirt Jr., Co. I found it, and couldn't believe that at that very moment I had access to over 400 gourmet cheeses. I thought to myself, "My friend Denise would LOVE this place." I purchased some Gruyere cheese and headed off to find sliced ham. I walked up Russell street and came upon Wigley's Meat, purchased the ham and was back to the midtown area.

When I arrived back at Kim's Produce I purchased my last few items: asparagus, and tomato and onion for the burgers! :) Great day out and about in Detroit!

No comments: