Friday, February 6, 2009

40+ Years later

I'm currently enrolled in a course titled "Race Relations in Urban Society." We have tons of excellent reading material contained in 6 required course books, and other items our prof posts on Blackboard. I just finished reading "Our Nation is Moving Toward Two Societies, One Black, One White - Separate and Unequal" Excerpts from the Kerner Report. You can click on the title and read the entire selection if you are interested, but I'm going to reflect just on one piece of the reading. The section of interest to me is under Part II - Why did it happen? Chapter 4, The Basic Causes. I've sat here now for some time trying to sum up this section and I just don't believe I can do it justice (now you'll have to go read it) (SMILES) I read this section and think, "Wow! This was written over 40 years ago. Many of these feelings and thoughts they state for causes of the riots still run rampant in our nations cities. Does it really take that long to make a change for ALL Americans? Will it ever be different?" If anyone has any thoughts or answers please feel free to share.

No comments: